Squirrels - Knowledgebase Question

Warrington, PA
Question by patr8
How can I keep squirrels from digging up and eating my blubs? I have purchased from Home Depot, chicken wire, netting, and placed them over my blubs. To some help. Short of getting bear traps....(: I don't want to kill them, just keep them from my blubs. I understand digging is their nature, they can smell my blubs. Wits end.

0

Sometimes it helps to dip the bulbs in a repellent such as Ropel at planting. Plant the bulbs as deep as possible (suited to the bulb's needs) and water thoroughly at planting to settle the soil, then cover with the wire mesh. In my experience the more closely woven wire hardware cloth worked better than chicken wire (the holes are too big!) and old window screens can also be used as a temporary barrier. You could also use one of the granular or spray repellents labeled for squirrels, follow the label directions for application and reapplication. The other consideration is that the problem may be voles which tunnel to the bulbs.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"