What's eating my hostas? - Knowledgebase Question

bartlett, tn
Question by cdstrunk
I have many hosta plants in my flower beds around my house, but just recently I have noticed that 'something' is eating away at my plants. I don't see any sign of insects, so what could it be? HELP!

0

You didn't describe the damage so I can only take an educated guess. The number one pest of hosta plants is the lowly slug (or snail). These guys feed at night so you're unlikely to see them in your garden unless you go out there with a flashlight and check all around the plants. If you find any, pick them off the plants and destroy them. You might also build a few traps to put around your hosta bed. I use terra cotta pots for unobtrusive traps. Immerse them in water until they are saturated then set them upside down in the garden and prop up one side of the rim with a stone. Slugs and snails will crawl into them overnight. In the morning you can scrape the critters out of the pots and reset the traps.