Snap Peas - Knowledgebase Question

Logan, WV
Question by vernonlogan
A fellow gardener told me that she planted peas late last fall by mistake. They came up well. She asked me if they would be OK. I was of opinion that peas should be planted in late Fall or early Winter for spring crop. She reported back that recent freeze appeared to have "killed" the pea plants.

When should peas be sown for early Spring crop?

0

You should only sow peas in the fall if you live in a warm climate, and Logan WV isn't a warm climate. You may have gotten away with it in a winter such as the one WV experienced this year being unseasonably warm much of the time. In general though, for WV, peas should be planted very early in the spring, as soon as the ground is workable. If you plant varieties with different maturation times (early season, mid, and late) you can harvest peas from spring on.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"