Weeping Cherry Not Weeping - Knowledgebase Question

Natick, MA
Question by hilgerw
I have a weeping Cherry tree in the front landscape of my house. When it was initially planted it was a nice shape with all of the branches head down. Now after two years, it is starting loose it's shape with new growth heading straight up! ShouldI be doing something to promote the weeping?

Thanks for you help.
Walt Hilger

0

Your weeping cherry tree was carefully trained to weep when it was being grown at the nursery. What you can do to help your tree maintain its shape is to weigh the branches down until they get the idea that that's how they're supposed to grow. Itshould only take a year or so. I tie bags of marbles or smooth river rocks to my errant cherry tree branches, as soon as I notice they're heading skyward. Use soft fabric, not string or fishing line, as ties to weigh the branches down. Try not to stress the branches by putting too much weight on them. Just tie the weight about mid-way between the beginning and the end of the branch. You can add more weight later in the season if needed. Be sure to check the branches every month or so to make sure thetie isn't causing injury to the bark of the branch.