No blooms on Dianthus - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Pattie McIntyre
Bridgton, ME
Question by frugalelf
I have a large area with Dianthus that bloomed in abundance the first two years. The next two years produced no blooms. I divided and waited this year but there are only a few flowers. What can I do to make my Dianthus bloom again?

0

Dianthus like full sunshine and adequate moisture during the summer. Some dianthus are biennial and will die back after about 2 years. But all diathus self-sow so you've probably got plants of different ages, which would account for the non-uniform appearance. You can go ahead and tidy them up after they've finished blooming, or simply allow them to set seeds, which will spill onto the ground and become new plants. Eventually you'll have lots of blooms again as the plants renew themselves.