Strawberry Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Belleville, IL
Question by patches1414
Do strawberry plants need to get some darkness at night to make flowers and produce fruit? I have some strawberry plants that I wintered over from baby plants last year, right now they appear to be very healthy and beautiful plants but they are not getting any flowers. They are planted in a bed at the back of my yard that receives light all night long from a pretty bright light from a church parking lot. I can't understand why I am not getting any flowers unless it because of the light or lack of bees to pollinate them. Do you have any ideas what is wrong?
Thanks!!!

0

You may be on to something, here. Strawberries are short-day plants, meaning they need long nights in order to produce flowers. In short-day plants flowering is inhibited by hormones called light receptors if light is absorbed over a long period of time. In short, if the nights are interrupted by even a brief period of low-intensity light the plant will not flower.

I don't know if this is what is happening to your plants, but it is certainly a possibility.