Impatiens - Knowledgebase Question

miami Miami, FL
Question by JoseIg
I bought beautiful rose parade mix impatiens and I also bought other red impatiens and out of that packet only one grew. I waited till now and I gave up I went to home depot and bought regular impatiens. Why didn't the impatiens grow?

0

It is quite possible that you planted your impatiens too deep. The seeds are very tiny and need to be sowed on top of soil and not covered--light is necessary for germination. Maintain at a tmeperature of 70 - 75F; germination can take up to 3 weeks.

Seed should be started indoors about 12 weeks before setting outdoors. On top of the potting soil put a shallow layer of vermiculite, perlite or milled sphagnum moss and sow the seed on top of this layer. Do not cover. By using this method you can prevent damping off. Water well and place in a plastic bag out of direct sunlight. Place under fluorescent lights as soon as you see the first sprout.