How to grow grass in shaded areas. - Knowledgebase Question

Jackson, MI (Zone 5B)
Question by pdavis40
How do I grow grass in a very shaded yard. I live in Michigan, what would be a good grass to use in the shaded spots here. I used Kentucky blue on the rest of the yard. Please help.

0

In Michigan, fine fescue is the turfgrass of choice for shady areas, but has a poor traffic tolerance so don't plant on having children play on the area. Creeping red, Chewings and hard fescue are the best turfgrasses for dry, moderately shaded areas and infertile, acidic soil. The fine fescues require well drained, slightly dry soils and minimum levels of management. They are often mixed with Kentucky bluegrass and perennial ryegrass for planting dry shaded areas.