How to cut back Japanese Iris - Knowledgebase Question

Alameda, Ca
Question by toribray
I planted about 6 Japanese Iris plants (with white blooms) in about mid-June. When I purchased them they were in bloom which is when they bloom usually. Now, they are done blooming apparently and the long leaves are still a nice green (could be greener I think) but the stems to what contains the pod like bloom, is all kind of brown. What can I do do change this, I am using this in our front yard and it makes everything else look sort of dead like. Can you tell me how I can cut them so they would appear better?

0

Iris ensata, or Japanese iris, should be deadheaded when the flowers are spent, unless you want to collect the seeds. What you describe sounds like a seed pod. If you cut the flowering stem down below foliage level, you'll make the plants look more attractive.

Best wishes with your garden!