Fertilizing Camellias - Knowledgebase Question

San Pedro, CA
Question by ullafetzer
When is a good time to feed my camellia, and what do I use? I pruned about three weeks ago.

0

Because you've recently pruned, your camellia should put on a flush of new growth this spring. If the growth looks pale, or the shrub is unthrifty, you can use a 5-10-10 fertilizer formulation. There are special fertilizers on the market for acid-loving plants so look for one made for camellias. If you prefer to use organic fertilizers, spread 1-2 inches of compost or peat moss over the root area. As it breaks down it will supply needed nutrients to the roots of your camellia. (Organic mulch materialwill help retain soil moisture and reduce weeds, as well.)