Blueberry brushes , beach plum trees & fruit trees - Knowledgebase Question

Mashpee, MA (Zone 6A)
Question by pjaverett
1. Have not had luck with any of the following blueberry brushes, apple trees, pear trees,peach trees and beach plum brushes, what am I doing wrong? blueberry brush sometime is eating the leaves and no fruit the others are dying. What should I use for fertilizer and what should I spray them with, so that the bugs dont eat the greenery. Any information would be helpful.

Thank you Paul email pjaverett@aol.com

0

In general, all of these will grow best in a location with full sun all day long and soil that is evenly moist yet well drained. Most fruit trees need five years or more to become established and begin to bear fruit.

The blueberries have additional special soil requirements in that they require an organic and humusy soil that is highly acidic.

To know how much to fertilize, you should run some basic soil tests and check the soil fertility, then fertilize based on the test results. The best time to fertilize would be in the spring. In the meantime, using an organic mulch over the root area (spread it out in a flat layer about three inches deep) will be helpful.

You may find the following general care guide useful in checking on care for each different fruit. The instructions were written by Penn State but should still apply just as well in your area.

http://ssfruit.cas.psu.edu/

I hope this helps you trouble shoot!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"