Keeping Pets Out Of Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Garden Friend
Los Angeles, CA
Question by jbain61481
My lovely rather big dog refuses to stay out of a raised garden bed next to a wall - cats & possums prowl the wall. Do you know of an effective deterent? I have tried a couple of preperations sold at my garden center but they don't seem to work. Alsoneighborhood cats seem to think my rose garden makes a great litter box...

0

If your dog is only trampling the garden when the cats and possums are on the wall, maybe we can find a way to keep them off the wall, and your pup will stay out of the garden. If the top of the wall is flat, how about crumpling up chicken wire - or someother material and anchoring it to the top of the wall? Animals don't like to walk on anything that gives way, for fear of getting their legs caught. The same chicken wire trick can be used in your rose bed. Once the cats realize that it's not pleasant to walk in your garden, they'll stop visiting. I've had good luck with putting stakes around the perimeter of the flower bed and stringing nylon fishing line from stake to stake. Criss-cross the line, keeping it no more than 12 inches between lines, and keep the line about 6 inches above the soil. There just isn't enough room for a cat to comfortably crawl under, or over the line, and not quite enough room for them to dig and squat. Once the felines are discouraged a few times, they'll find some place else to relieve themselves and you can safely remove the fishing line.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"