Pruning seedless grapes - Knowledgebase Question

Monrovia, CA
Question by gibsonjoyce
I planted 3 grape vines about 11 years ago. The first and 5 years I had buckets and buckets of grapes. Most years I have a few. Last year the size of the grapes were puny and bad. This year, I tried my hand at severe pruning after the leaves fell and pruning non-productive whips and shortening all vines. One vine has no grapes, one has about 3 groups of grapes and the other is quite productive. What did I do? What should I do?

Grape production has as much to do with variety and weather as it does with pruning. I don't think you damaged yoru grapevines with severe pruning, I think the pruning, combined with the variety, the weather and/or health of the vines is what is slowing or stopping your production. Here's a publication from Washington State University with pruning guidelines along with sketches and photos. It's really comprehensive and links to other issues of grape growing which you might find helpful.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"