First time Gardener in Red Clay - Knowledgebase Question

High Point, NC
Question by frainford
New home with lawn in Red Clay with pine needle coverage. How do I begin preparing soil for gardening tropical plants.

0

According to your zip code, you are gardening in USDA winter hardiness zone 7A or the coldest part of zone 7. This is so cold that tropical plants must be brought indoors each fall to overwinter inside. For this reason I would suggest you grow your tropicals as container plants.

Using containers makes it much easier to bring them indoors in the fall and back outside again in the spring. In general, you would use a good quality potting mix formulated for container growing. Make sure the container has functioning drainage holes in the bottom of it to allow excess water to escape. Enjoy those tropicals!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"