Greensand and Granite Dust - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Monte Besler
Williston, ND
Question by mbesler
What minerals are in greensand and where can the material be found? I am interested in using greensand as both a soil texture amendment and a natural potassium source. Is it known by any other names? I have also heard of a material called granite dust. Will it effect the pH of the soil?

0

Greensand, also known as glauconite, is a mineral deposit found on the ocean floor. Greensand supplies marine potash, silica, iron oxide, magnesia, lime, phosphoric acid, and 22 trace minerals. It works as a fertilizer and a soil amendment (it can helpto loosen clay soil). It is usually applied at a rate of 4 lbs./100 sq. ft.

Granite dust is simply ground up granite rock and is also used as a potassium source/soil amendment.

The closest place I can find for you to purchase the material mail-order is Planet Natural, in Bozeman, MT; ph# 800-289-6656; web site www.planetnatural.com/