No fruit from Orange Tree - Knowledgebase Question

La Mesa, CA
Question by greenda4
Hi,

I performed the soil test with a soil tester, where I placed soil into a tube with water and a capsule of dust provided with the tester. I tested the soil directly under my orange tree and the soil by the rim line (about 7 ft away) and both the areas came back with a pH of 6.0 (Acid). Is this the right pH for my orange tree?? I have not gotten an fruit from it since I pruned it 2 yrs ago. What's wrong with it?? The tree is about 20 yrs old.

Thanks,

Delroy

0

Orange trees usually produce fruit at the ends of branches. If you pruned it back hard, it can take 2-3 years for it to produce again. As long as you're seeing new growth, the tree is healthy and will recover from the pruning session. Citrus trees like a soil that is somewhat acid (5.5 to 6.5) so your soil's pH is in the right range. You didn't mention whether or not you're regularly feeding your tree. If not, you'll want to apply a slow release 12-4-8 with micronutrients such as iron, zinc, manganese, molybdenum, copper and boron. We generally recommend using approximately 1 pound of fertilizer per application for each year of a tree?s age, but you'll want to follow label directions on the fertilizer package.

I hope your tree blooms and develops fruit soon!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"