what flowers would you recommend for a grave / headstone? - Knowledgebase Question

London, en
Question by laurenallsop
Hi,

I have offered to help my other half plant flowers on his mum and nan's grave's as at present they look a bit bare, what flowers can you recommend that will look good all year round, cover the ground and not grow too tall nor spread too much? obviously we will be doing in very soon so something that will last over winter fairly exposed but still look good come summer time.

many thanks

lauren

0

You might consider a smaller variety of rose with good disease resistance and ornamental hips to provide winter interest, underplanted with a flowering groundcover such as Ajuga (spreads but easily contained by periodic pulling along the perimeter.) Check with the cemetery owner or administrator to be sure your plans meet any guidelines they may have for plantings. Also, a quick look at nearby graves in similar growing conditions (sun, shade, etc.) might yield some suggestions for specific plants that look nice year round. Your local professionally trained nurseryman may also have some suggestions based on a more detailed understanding of the space and how much maintenance you are able to do. All the best with your loving project.