Heating a Greenhouse - Knowledgebase Question

Medford, OR
Question by vrinkle
I recently bought a house that included an old 6 foot by 12 foot Burpee glass greenhouse. I have been heating the greenhouse this winter with electric heat. The electric bills are killing me. I understand that natural gas and propane heaters can also be used, but I'm concerned about a buildup of carbon monoxide. Do I have reason to be concerned? What other heating methods are available to me?

0

Fortunately, most greenhouse heaters that use propane and natural gas are vented, so harmful gasses don't build up inside the greenhouse. Gardener's Supply Co. (www.gardeners.com; ph# 800/863-1700) has a selection of greehouse accessories, including a good selection of heaters for various situations (they used to carry a style, called the Southern Burner, that didn't require venting!). I didn't find the greenhouse heaters listed on their website, but you can request their Greenhouse Accessories Catalog via the web. Hope you find what you need!