Planting peonies - Knowledgebase Question

Topeka, KS
Question by mousebrin
Last spring, I planted two peonies. One grew a little, as expected for a first year plant. The other maintained a height of about two inches, never grew beyond that, never died. I didn't think it would 'come back' this year. This spring, they both broke through the soil. Had we not had a late freeze, the one that did well last year would have bloomed at least once. The other one grew to about two inches and has done nothing more. Does it need to dug up and replanted? I cannot figure out why it won't grow. It's planted about 18

0

This is an interesting question. Based on your description I am not certain why the second plant is not growing. You must be giving them good care since the other one sounds fine. You might try replanting it, possibly in a different location. Perhaps there is an underground obstruction preventing it from rooting, or perhaps there is a problem with the soil in that particular spot, or maybe a tree root or something like that. Or, maybe it settled deeper than it was orginally planted. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you.