Seed Temperature - Knowledgebase Question

abington, MA
Question by StephenMcGow
I have an area where I start my lettuce and broccoli seeds indoors that gets very warm, 78-85 degrees under 4 ft. tubes. The seeds germinate very quickly but heat seems to have an adverse affect on the plants, causing wilting. The soil is Scotts starter and the containers are new. Is the heat too hot for these cool season vegetables and if so what is the warmest they should be during the day?

0

Once the seeds are up and growing, they prefer less warmth and will do best at 60-70 degrees F. during the day--cooler (10 F. less) at night. High temperatures tend to cause spindly, weak growth. Also, be sure to keep them moist. They could be drying out. Keep the fluorescent lights on for 12-16 hours each day.