bougainvillea - Knowledgebase Question

oaklandpark, fl
Question by bernarddunca
I have several Bougainvilleas but one of them will not bloom. It did a couple of times but won't any more. I fertilize it and still nothing. Could we be getting to much rain if so what can I do?

0

Bougainvilleas flower on a cycle; they grow, bloom, rest then repeat the cycle. It normally takes about 6 weeks. So, it may be that the non-blooming bougainvillea is on a slightly different schedule than your others. It might also be that it is getting too much nitrogen fertilizer, which could also retard blooming. I'd hold off on feeding the plant, then prune it back a bit to encourage new growth. The new growth should flower for you. Hope it's soon!