How can I tell if... - Knowledgebase Question

Edgewater, md
Question by Kolbjoe
The Clematis I have is a

0

Crepe myrtle blooms on new growth of the season. Each spring, prune out any winter killed branches and then prune a little more if required to restore a symmetrical look or if needed to control the overall size. Summer pruning will delay flowering. Late summer or fall pruning is not recommended as it will stimulate late season growth that will increase the chances of more extensive winter damage.

Clematis pruning is often made out to be tricky, but it isn't really. With clematis, you can simply observe the plants and their blooming sequence to figure out what type of pruning schedule is needed. Or, you can prune back a portion of it in early spring and then prune a portion of it after it blooms. That can sometimes result in an extended blooming season. The following article will give you some pointers.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fa...

Enjoy your plants!