Morning Glory seeds - Knowledgebase Question

e. taunton, Ma
Question by craw2
I grow morning glories by seed and love them. With my exsisting morning glories can I get seeds from them? If so, where on the plant and when?

0

Morning glories produce clusters of round seed pods suspended from their vines. When they are mature the pods turn papery brown and are brittle. The mature seeds are dark-brown to matte-black, wedge shaped, and sized between and 1/8" and 1/4" long; a few, such as Hawaiian Wood Rose, are slightly larger.

Seed collection is easy. To collect the seeds simply clasp the papery-brown pods with one hand and crumble the seeds into a cup held below with your other hand. Immature seeds will not come free. Dry the seeds for about a week on an open plate before packing them into an airtight container for storage. Allow for more drying time if the seeds are large and/or the weather is damp.

Or, you can simply allow your morning glory to drop the seeds on the ground; new plants will sprout in the garden bed next spring.

Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"