Edible bananas? - Knowledgebase Question

Wellington, fl
Question by mecker20
I was given two banana

0

Michele,

It is difficult to determine which type of banana you have based on that description. I suspect they are an edible fruiting type and I would give them as long as you can on the plant before harvesting the clump. They need to reach a certain maturity level before the apple and bag trick will work. Bananas come in all types shapes and sizes so don't let the fruit size or shape concern you.

Then stalks that fruited should be cut off at the ground after harvesting the bananas. They won't refruit. The new "pups" at the base will grow into tall stalks that will fruit over a year from now if they are not damaged by a frost or freeze. That is the normal cycle of a banana plant. You can also dig and move the pups to start new banana clumps in another area or share them with a friend if you wish.

Keep the plants well watered and fertilize monthly with a complete fertilizer product at the label rate.