WALLNUT TREE - Knowledgebase Question

TORRINGTON, WY
Question by SGTINLOVE2
I THINK I HAVE A WALLNUT TREE IN MY YARD. LOTS OF GOLFBALL SIZED GREEN BALLS ON IT. HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THE WALLNUT ARE READY FOR HARVEST? AND IS THEIR ANYTHING I NEED TO SPRAY THE TREE WITH SO THAY CAN BE ATE BY PEOPLE. THANK SSG DON NASH

0

You won't need to do anything special to the tree in order to eat the nuts. The nuts will eventually ripen in the fall. They should be soft and will turn a lighter color, or you can wait until they fall off the tree and pick them up. They will need to be husked and then shelled -- this can be a difficult task because they are very hard to crack. Here is more information about black walnut trees and harvesting the nuts. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/y...

Enjoy the walnuts!