Rabbit Manure - Knowledgebase Question

Walnut, CA
Question by mfrancis8
My rabbit has free rein of the garden/house. I have heard that using rabbit manure "straight from the bunny" is okay but nobody ever said anything about the urine. There are certain spots the bunny likes more than others. Will the urine be a problem in my garden? Compost pile? Worm composting? How do I separate the manure from the urine?

0

Rabbit manure has a roughly calculated NPK ratio of 2.4, 1.4, 0.6, so it's high in nitrogen compared to other kinds of manure. Raw manure generally releases highly soluble nitrogen compounds and ammonia, which can burn plant roots. If you can add themanure to the compost pile, rather than directly incorporating it into garden soil, the ammonia will have a chance to leach out. I wouldn't use raw rabbit manure in a worm bin, for the same reasons. If your rabbit uses the same spot in the garden each time, you can dig the material out of the soil and add it to your compost bin. If he uses different areas of the garden, one deposit isn't going to do much damage. Just watch your plants for signs of overdoses, and try to protect with fencing any plants that appear to be suffering from over-fertilization.