thuja smaragd - Knowledgebase Question

milford, Pa
Question by jkreilly
My local home depot is selling potted arbovitae marked thuja smaragd and thuja green giant on the same plant. Is thuja smaragd a true thuja giant, i.e. a plicata-standishii graft? Thank you.

0

Thuja "Smaragd" (a synonym for "Emerald") is a Thuja occidentalis cultivar originally from Denmark. It should hold a good green color in winter and reach 10 to 15 feet tall and 3 to 4 feet wide.

Thuja "Green Giant" was introduced by the US National Arboretum about ten years ago. It is a larger plant and grows about twice as wide. Here is information and photos of it.

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Garde...

Unfortunately, I am not sure which plant this one would be if it has two different labels on it. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.