Basil leaves dropping - Knowledgebase Question

cape coral, fl
Question by donnonne
I live in southwest Florida and have a basil plant in my lanai cage. It was beautiful, but overnight it dropped almost half of its leaves. Last week the pepper plant I had in a pot next to it dropped all its leaves and died even though it had beautiful almost ripe peppers on it. Any suggestions?

Very strange. Could some product have recently been used on the lawn nearby, say in the past week? I would not eliminate the possibility of soil moisture extremes (especially very wet) causing the plant to stress and drop foliage. I think to get a better diagnosis you might want to take the plant(s) in to your County Extension Office and see a horticulturist about the possible causes. With the sample in hand they may be better able to pinpoint the cause. Their contact information is:

3406 Palm Beach Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33916

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"