Orange tree versus myrtle tree : Please advice - Knowledgebase Question

Stanford, CA
Question by eunirodo
Hello,

I want to plant a tree in front of my house and next to the driveway and I have a few questions regarding the two types that I am considering.

1) I would like to have a tree that doesn't lose the leaves in the winter. Which varieties of myrtle trees keep theirs leaves?

2) Which tree would need bigger root

0

If space is a concern, you might try a semi-dwarf orange tree, or an ornamental pear tree (which has an upright columnar growth habit but does not bear fruit). Both are evergreen trees. There is one semi-evergreen crape myrtle: Crape Myrtle ?Catawba? is one of the best purple flowering selections available. Displays large, long lasting clusters actually masses of dark purple crepe-like flowers in summer. Handsome foliage has bronzy cast in spring, bright green in summer, orange-red fall color. Mildew resistant. Moderate-growing to rounded dome 15 feet tall, 14 feet wide.

Hope this information helps you choose just the right tree for your landscape.