roses in pots - Knowledgebase Question

SAINT PETERSBURG, Fl
Question by Ehoesley
EVERY SUMMER I ALMOST LOOOSE MY ROSES . THEY LOOK AWFUL. I FEEL LIKE THROWING THEM AWAY... IVE TRIED WATER OR NO WATER , FERTILIZER NO FERTILIZER. I EVEN TRIED MORE SOIL ON TOP..THE THING THAT SEEM TO WORK THE BEST WAS UNCOVERING THE TOP OF THE ROOT ..BUT THEY STILL LOOK BAD. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?????

0

Edith,

I am not sure what it is you are doing or not doing based on your question. The comment about removing soil makes me wonder if they are being planted too deep. This is very stressful to roses and I suggest taking extra care to not set the top of the root ball below the soil level. If you plant bare root roses look at the stem to see the change in color where the original soil line was and plant that at or above the soil line.

Roses need LOTS of sun to do well. Six hours is minimal. In Florida the soil conditions usually require that roses be on Dr. Huey rootstock to thrive. You might inquire as to what rootstock roses are on before you purchase them. Mix a lot of compost into the planting bed before digging the hole to set the plants. Keep the soil moderately moist and feed the roses every 6 weeks during the growing season.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"