Raised Bed - Knowledgebase Question

Kingston, NY
Question by txcherokee27
Hello, I want to build a two-tiered raised bed. The high tier would be approx. 4ft. tall with herbs I can tend while standing. The outer tier would be 18-24

0

Be sure in your estimated sizes that there is enough width for healthy root growth and also that you can reach across easily to tend plants. Most people can only reach about three feet. Too, peppers would grow better with full sun all day long and good air circulation, these may be limited if placed against a building.

There are several construction issues with what you have described. With this type of height you will need to have footings set below the frost line as well as protect the housewall and foundation from moisture. Be sure in your estimated sizes that there is enough width for healthy root growth and also that you can reach across easily to tend plants. Most people can only reach about three feet.

I would strongly suggest you consult on site with a professionally trained and degreed landscape architect to design a bed that will be both safe and well constructed as well as suited to growing plants -- and also attractive. Best of luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"