Community Gardening Info - Knowledgebase Question

Newport, RI
Avatar for ruchele9
Question by ruchele9
March 11, 1998
I am looking to re-locate soon, hopefully to a city in the Northeast with strong community gardening programs. Any suggestions for who to contact and how to find full-time employment in the field of community gardening and urban agriculture?

Answer from NGA
March 11, 1998
I'd start by contacting the American Community Gardening Association, 100 North 20th St., Philadelphia, PA 19103, ph# 215-988-8785.

The People-Plant Council is an umbrella group encouraging "research into the benefits...of working with plants...and community efforts." I'm not familiar with their work, but you might give them a try, at 407 Saunders Hall, Blacksburg, VA 24061, ph# 540-231-6254.

You might also contact state universities' Departments of Urban Planning, or similar departments, as well as their horticulture departments. The various cities's Departments of Parks and Recreation may have connections and will likely have some involvement in the community gardens. And the Intervale Foundation, here in Burlington, Vermont, may have some leads for you. Write to them at 128 Intervale Rd., Burlington, VT 05401.

I hope this gets you started! Good luck!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Murky and is called "Hibiscus"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.