cutting back flowering bushes - Knowledgebase Question

lowellville, oh
Question by tnotte1477
I would like to know when is the best time to cut back my flowing shrubs?

0

In general, flowering shrubs should be pruned back immediately after they have finished flowering. Shrubs that flower in the spring usually develop flower buds for next year's bloom over the summer months. If you prune them this late in the year, you could potentially cut off next year's flower display. It's best to wait until after they have finished flowering next spring. Summer blooming shrubs generally produce flowers on new wood, so you can prune them now and they will still flower right on time next summer. Fall blooming shrubs produce flower buds in the summertime so wait until they have finished flowering before pruning them back.

Best wishes with your shrubs!