Butterfly Bush good for Central Florida climate? - Knowledgebase Question

land o lks, Fl
Question by mngreens
A neighbor purchased several Butterfly Bush (Kaleidoscope)plants from an Ohio-based nursery online. Though it states zones 5-9 and the blooms of lavender and butterscoth (creamy golden yellow) are stunning, I've never seen or heard of them in Florida. She lives just about 15 mins north of Tampa and we're wondering if this plant would be hardy, free of pests and thrive in the hot Florida climate? At this point she can still cancel the order, but not for too much longer. A quick reply would be super.
P.S. The flyer states it is the first Buddleia to offer two colors on one panicle. (hope this is helpful)

0

Buddleia officinalis is well suited for south Florida. Kaleidoscope is too new to have a track record in Florida so I can't really advise you on that one. I think it might be worth trying - it sounds spectacular!