Palms inside for winter - Knowledgebase Question

US
Question by rml1313
I brought my majesty palms indoors starting in September trying to get them used to being inside...they are dying...drying up right before my eyes how much do I water and how often? It seems like the water runs right through the pot... I live in Central New Jersey... any ideas? jeena

0

It can be stressful for plants to move from outdoors in and indoors out simply due to the differences in light intensity, temperature and humidity. They'll do best in bright light but no direct sunshine (you may have to supplement natural light with a gro-lite or fluorescent lights - keep them on 14 hours a day). Keep your palms out of drafts from an open door and vents from your heater and mist them daily to help counteract dry indoor air. Plants in containers can sometimes develop air pockets deep within the soil. So, no matter how much water you apply, it will simply run out of the drainage holes. To correct this condition, set your plants in a larger container and flood them, allowing the excess water to raise above the drip holes and the saucer. (A bathtub is a good place for larger plants.) Allow them to sit in the water for 15-30 minutes, or until no more air bubble rise to the surface. This will thoroughly saturate the soil and drive out any air pockets. Then drain and water again after the top inch of soil begins to dry out.

Best wishes with your palms!