Bare-Root Plants and Fruit Trees. - Knowledgebase Question

Pilot Hill, Ca
Question by lawman364
My question is twofold. I have purchased Grapes and Berries and several Fruit trees all bare-root at my local Home Depot. All the packages indicate to keep dormant and do not plant until after the last frost. 1). How do I keep them dormant and 2)When can I expect the last frost in my planting zone between 8-9 in Zip Code 95664. My elevation is approximately 1500 feet above sea level in the Sierra foothills.
Thank you.

0

You are in gardening zone 9 with an average last frost date of 28 February. You can plant your bare root trees and vines now. They will break dormancy as soon as they experience warm temperatures. Plant them now and water them regularly and they should green up for you in a few short weeks. Best wishes with your edible landscape!