container planting - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, No
Question by Jesshd651
What would be the best for growing vegetables in a container? I was thinking about growing cucumbers? If possible how much direct sunlight would they need?

0

Any vegetable can be grown in a container with full sun, at least 6 to 8 hours daily. Generally speaking the bigger the container the better. A tomato plant for example will need a five gallon bucket or a half barrel by late summer when it is approaching full size and has a big root system to support all the top growth. Traditional Vining cukes sprawl quite a bit, so for containers a better choice would be a hybrid bush variety. A planter size of 1' X 1' is minimal for each bush cucumber plant, but I'd go larger if space allows. You might also consider mixing a few things in one pot, such as leaf lettuce, green onions and carrots, which provides some variety in limited space. Good luck!