what should i do, @ how, clay!!! - Knowledgebase Question

groves, Te
Question by bjdee222
I've worked sooo hard, added 5 bags of miracle growth, 2-cu., 2-1cu. tomato good soil dirt, before i added the above, the soil was clay like, BUT i worked it @ it was fine, it rained, @ MUD!!! thats when i added the above along with lime, @ 13-13-13, peat moss. I then thought

0

Darlene,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

It sounds like you are in a battle with the soil and indeed! Keep in mind that soil can be improved over time by adding compost. In fact that is the best thing to do for your soil each time plant something new or changed from one "crop" to another mix in or 3 inches of compost. If you are planting area is low and tends to hold water I suggest you build up a raised planting bad because poor drainage is deadly for most plants.You may also want to have your soil tested. Your County Extension Office can tell you how to go about having that done.

Take heart! Gardening is not that difficult and while at times things don't go the way we want with some patience and persistence they will!