Rocky Soil - Knowledgebase Question

pine hill, NJ
Question by cherb62
We have very rocky soil, no matter how much we till the soil I keep getting rocks. How much top soil should I put down to stop the rocks form surfacing, I think the rocks are the problem with the carrots.

0

You should try gardening in NH! Just try to put the rocks to good use. I use them to outline where I put perennials, so I don't lose them over the winter! Works quite well. You could also build a little wall around your veggie garden.

Yes,the stones are probably why your carrots are giving you trouble. Try digging a trench for them and putting good soil there (with lots of sand), plant the carrots in the trench. Or build a raised bed (using all those rocks!) and fill it in with top soil.There is no practical way that I know of to keep the rocks from surfacing--it is caused by expansion and contraction of the freezing and thawing ground.

You know the old saying: "When you get lemons, make lemonade." At least stones make for good drainage. :-)