Bulbs and Mulch - Knowledgebase Question

NY, NY
Question by magliol6
I'd like to place a layer of mulch 1" thick over spring and summer bulbs and rhizomes I have planted in containers. Would this be beneficial or harmful?

0

The time to have done that would have been early winter, after a first deep frost. Now, you'll just keep the frost in there longer. Is that what you want to do? If you're trying to delay their emergence until the weather warms up more, then itmight be helpful. Think of the mulch as a layer that will keep what's below it protected from either heat or cold! Just as you have in your house. It keeps it cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I'd leave it alone for now. Mulch it next winter!
(I'm concerned about your summer bulbs--are they tender bulbs like glads? Hopefully, you haven't left them outdoors over the winter...)

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"