Mexican Petunia - Knowledgebase Question

US
Question by carpete62
Last year when I was in Phoenix our friend gave me a plant called a Mexican Petunia. I live in Michigan and planted it - it was beautiful and lasted all season. I hoped it would come back this year, but it doesn't look like it is. Can I purchase this plant here in Michigan, or will I have to send for one from Phoenix? What is the offical name for this plant? Hope you can help.

0

The botanical name for your Mexican Petunia is Ruellia brittoniana. It is winter hardy only in zones 8-10 so I don't think you'll find it in Michigan. I cannot locate seeds for this plant so you may need to ask your friend to send you a rooted cutting.

Best wishes with your garden!