I have a list of plants - Knowledgebase Question

Strongsville, Oh
Question by gigglesngi
About three weeks ago, I went through the online catalog of plants. All I want to know is when can I expect the plants in the local stores. I live in zone 5 and I went to the local store this week. They had pansies, some hostas, and a few others including some sprouting bulbs. None of these were on my list however. The people in the store did not have a clue regarding what they were getting and when they were getting them. Is there anybody that can help me?

0

Garden centers generally receive their plants about 2 weeks after the last frost date of the season. This is so gardeners can safely plant them in the garden and not have to worry about freezing temperatures killing their new plants. Your last frost date in zone 5 can be anytime between April 15 and 30. So, you can expect to see summer annuals and perennials in your garden center about the end of April or the first of May. The plants you saw on your last visit are considered cold-tolerant plants and therefore are stocked during late winter and early spring.

Hope this clarifies things for you.