Compacted and lumpy lawn/soil - Knowledgebase Question

Waltham, Ma
Question by michaelwchen
Hello- I have a 4,200 sq. ft. back yard. No root system and the surface is flat and mostly covered with grass. If you were to walk on my lawn, you'll notice a lot of small but very defined

0

You actually have two options: you can simply overseed the lawn after removing the weeds (the easiest solution), or you can revamp the entire area and then either lay sod or seed. It will be necessary to rototill and remove existing vegetation in preparation for sod installation or seeding. Rototilling won't make for a lumpy planting bed. After tilling you can drag it to level the area either with a 4'X 6' or a length of chainlink fence tied to a rope that you pull across the planting bed. I'd plan on two weekends to do 4,200 square feet, plan a BBQ and invite 3-4 strong friends to help you with the project.

So, if you're feeling ambitious, rent a tiller, rake out the debris, level the area and have sod installed; or broadcast seeds. Once you've prepared the area, sod will give you the quickest results, with the bonus of a weed free lawn for quite some time. It's also the most expensive option. Starting with fresh seed, a seeded lawn will green up in 7-10 days and, as long as you keep weeds down, the lawn will grow lush and thick by the end of the summer. Best wishes with your new lawn!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"