Hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

Avon, In
Question by dag818
I planted three hydrangeas four years ago. They get full sun and come back every year, however they have yet to flower. I must confess, the first two years I did not realize they flower on old wood and I cut them back. Year three we had a late frost, and I neglected to cover them, so once again, no flowers. This year, again a late frost, but I covered them and new growth is coming in fast, but nothing seems to be appearing on the old wood. I also gave them garden sulfur so the flowers are blue. What am I doing wrong?

0

If you're getting new growth from the bottom of the plant but not from the older wood, it sounds as though the plants died back all the way to the ground - inspite of your efforts to protect it. Since this is a pattern in your garden, you may be happier if you replace your hydrangeas with a variety that is more cold tolerant and flowers on new wood. Endless Summer, Blushing Bride, or Annabelle are the best hydrangeas for your growing region.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"