Fig tree - Knowledgebase Question

Mount Sinai, Ne
Question by agmeek
How should I prune my fig tree. It is sending up a number of trunks from the ground. Do I remove all except the larger one? Do I have to prune back the branches at all? Right now the leaves are just starting to unfurl and very small figs are forming.

0

If allowed to grow without pruning, your fig tree would actually be a multi-stemmed shrub. But, since you'd rather have a tree than a shrub, you need to prune out all of the upright suckers coming from the roots. Remove everything there except the main trunk of your tree. Don't prune the branches of your tree just yet. Pruning now will compromise any fruit set you might get. The best time to prune the branches is in the winter time. Remove any obviously dead branches at that time. Fig branches usually don't need pruning, but you can shorten them if they're getting too long. Again, winter time when the tree is dormant, is the best time to do any pruning.

Hope you have a bountiful harvest.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"