Hanging Tomato Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Minnetonka, Mi
Question by juliewinkels
I live in the Mpls. area in Minnesota. I have seen people plant tomato plants in buckets. They grow upside down. I tried this last year but they didn't work so well. What is the correct way to plant these tomato plants. I forgot to mention that I live in an apartment building and have a nice size patio.
Thank you,
Julie Winkels

0

Plants naturally grow upwards so if you plant in the bottom of a hanging basket the stems will begin to grow down and then will start growing upwards because of gravity and orientation to the sun. As the stems produce leaves and fruits, the weight of these will drag the stems downward again. Essentially, the plant will be growing almost upside down, but you need to plant in the bottom, not the top of your container. Hope this answers your question.