Pests - Knowledgebase Question

savage, Ma
Question by louise120
How can I keep squirrels out of my plants on my balcony? They tear my plants up.

0

Dealing with squirrels is tough, but there may be some help for you. One of the easiest solutions is to cover the soil around your plants with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Squirrels don't like to walk on it. Another suggestion is to drape bird netting over your plants. This should only be temporary - as soon as the squirrels figure out they can't get to your plants, they'll go elsewhere.

You can also try pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet above ground and placing 2 foot wide metal bands around the tree trunks, positioning them so the bottom of each band is at least 2 feet off the ground. This will discourage squirrels from taking up residence in your yard. I realize these aren't really simple solutions...but it's not a simple problem!