protect tomatoes from squirrels - Knowledgebase Question

US
Question by artunger17
will hot pepper flakes protect my tomatoes from squirrels?

0

Dealing with squirrels is tough, but there may be some help for you. One of the easiest solutions is to cover the soil around planting beds with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Squirrels don't like to walk on it. For added protection you might consider driving some stakes into the ground around your tomato plants and then draping bird netting over everything. This will serve as a barrier for your tomato plants.

You can also try pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet above ground and placing 2 foot wide metal bands around the tree trunks, positioning them so the bottom of each band is at least 2 feet off the ground. This will discourage squirrels from taking up residence in your yard. I realize these aren't really simple solutions...but it's not a simple problem!