Carbon deficiency in my compost bin - Knowledgebase Question

Portsmouth, Ne
Question by yabadabdou
I have been neglectful in adding enough brown leaves to my compost tumbler. Now I have a 3/4 full smelly barrel, full of discarded kitchen waste. Is there an additive that I can incorporate into the existing compost tumbler to make up for the deficiency in carbon from dried leaves?

0

You'll get the fastest results if you just add shredded newspaper or sawdust. Both are quite high in carbon and should balance your compost so it will decompose faster. Be sure to mix it in well - aerating your compost should also help dispell the odor. If you haven't already, toss in a few shovelfuls of garden soil (to introduce some of the good microbes to help break things down quickly). Best wishes with your compost!