Iris Leaves Turn Brown - Knowledgebase Question

Kewaunee, WI
Question by mgrank
My iris start the season with green foilage and then turn
brown and dry up. What should I do?

0

Iris sometimes get a bacterial leaf spot, a fungal leaf spot, rust, or an infestation of thrips insects. Without a better description of the problem, it's difficult to pinpoint the problem. If you can provide full sunshine and good air circulation around the plants, you can avoid the fungal and bacterial problems. Thrips are tiny insects that jump from leaf to leaf, and are harder to control. Try to monitor your iris - as soon as you see a brown area developing on a leaf, remove that leaf to keep theproblem from spreading to other leaves. At the end of the season, after the plants have finished blooming, the leaves naturally wilt and die. Remove the dead leaves and keep the iris bed clear of all whithered leaves throughout the winter. If your iris are overcrowded, dig and divide them in late summer. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"